French Tarragon

danos added on April 6, 2011 | Answered

I have planted 2 tarragon plants, one in 2009 and one in 2010. They were the ones in 4" pots from a garden centre. However, the crop is very poor. They are in a sunny position in medium rich soil in a raised bed. They are watered daily and do not get waterlogged as the bed is raised. How can I get a better crop than 6 sprigs?? Should they spread each year?

I would start pinching the plants at a rather early stage. This will encourage branching. This article has more information on that:

Some varieties grow back better than others. I would recommend purchasing a named variety from a reputable nursery. While you keep the ground dry, snow and rain in the winter can be over watering it in the cold, which will kill the roots. A more hardy variety will be better able to survive this.

Here are more questions about Tarragon