Foster Holly Bushes

Foster Holly Tree Root System

dparkh added on November 2, 2017 | Answered

Can the roots of my Foster Holly Tree damage the foundation of my house? A tree guy keeps stopping at my house to tell me that I need to take down my Foster Holly Tree because it's planted too close to the house and the roots will damage the foundation. I don't know whether he's telling the truth or whether he just wants work. The tree is mature approximately 15-20' tall, and it's planted about 6' from the corner of my house. It is in need of trimming, but I have absolutely no idea whether I need to be concerned about it damaging the foundation. Thanks for your help.

This particular holly causes more damage than any other I have seen. Being such a large tree, the roots are highly invasive. Along with your foundation... The roots can crawl into water lines, and septic systems. If he is a professional in this subject, then it is best to let him diagnose this and repair any damage already done. If this continues to grow like in this fashion, then it can cause irreparable damage over time.

It is very common for this particular holly to be, mistakenly, planted to close to structures, as most people are expecting it to remain a shrub as many varieties of Hollies do.

00
Here are more questions about Foster Holly Bushes