Tulips

Forcing Tulips

phyllisvanwinkle added on February 27, 2017 | Answered

I bought some tulips that were forced to bloom in water. Can I now take the bulbs and cut off the green part, then put them in a dark bag in the vegetable part of my refrigerator and force them to bloom again? After chilling, can I then put them back in water for them to bloom again? Thanks.

Tulips that have been forced will often not bloom again, but some may bloom if you plant them outside. They will not bloom again if forced in water, because forcing uses up a lot of their stored energy.

However, what you can do is chill them in the refrigerator as you've suggested, then plant them outdoors. After a year or two, they may produce flowers, but many of the bulbs will likely just produce foliage.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/bgen/chilling-flowering-bulbs.htm

00
Here are more questions about Tulips