Cherry Trees

Flowering Cherry Tree

I live in the mountains, under pine trees at 3,200'. I have a 7 yr. old flowering cherry tree that has never been fertilized but blooms beautifully. However, last two years the leaves have come out before the blooms. Is the neighbor's oak tree that now shades my tree to blame? Can I do something to get it to bloom before the leaves appear? Thank you for any advice.

Flowering cherries do tolerate light shade, but if your neighbor's oak is causing increased shade, there's not much you can do short of offering to pay for part or all of a thinning for the oak. The traditional method of improving bloom is to add phosphorous, either with a fertilizer, or bone meal. You might want to try this. This article tells you more about fertilizing and other care: Then again, maybe its a variety that wants to leaf out before flowering, and its just now getting to its more mature habit. As long as you're getting flowers, I think it's all good.

Here are more questions about Cherry Trees