Hibiscus Plants

Flower Buds Sticky and Has This Black Stuff All Over Them

mdale4969 added on November 5, 2012 | Answered

Candy Wind hibiscus - that black stuff on the flower buds is weird, it's not spots, sits on top, doubt mold, also on bottom of flower when it blooms. I dont think it's even from the plant itself.  I had 8 lady bugs suddenly appear all over the plant and went to eating it all off the buds!! I have two pots of this plant - one on each side of my porch and only one of them has this stuff on them.

You actually probably have a pest, most likely aphids since you are seeing lady bugs. These beneficial insects love feeding on aphids and will help get rid of them. One of the side effects of aphids is sticky honeydew, which more often than not leads to sooty mold--the black stuff you are seeing. To get rid of the sooty mold, you need to get rid of the aphids. We recommend neem oil as it is safe for humans, pets and the beneficial bugs. It will also help with the sooty mold.

Here are some articles to help you:

Here are more questions about Hibiscus Plants