Maple Trees

Flamingo Boxelder Tree

Helen johnson added on April 22, 2017 | Answered

We have this tree in our front yard. I love the color of the tree when it first leafs out in the spring. However, it seems each year there are more and more "un-variegated" (solid green) leaves appearing. Is there some way to prevent this? I have read that they should be pruned out, but I'm not sure that is the best advice. Thanks.

Many variegated plants will gradually revert to a fully green form if you don't prune them carefully. The variegated parts of the plant are weaker and slower-growing than the green parts, because they don't have as much chlorophyll. This article explains more:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/variegated-plant-problems.htm

The best way to prevent this is to prune out all the green areas regularly. If you don't, they will eventually take over the entire tree.

00
Here are more questions about Maple Trees