Open2

Filling Very Large Hallow in Tree

Austin Haines added on July 24, 2017 | Answered

I have a beautiful old tree growing by a river. Actually much of the time the lower trunk of the tree is immersed in water. The problem is that a huge proportion (ca. 80%) of the trunk has eroded and there is a very real danger that the tree will break at the base especially when river is in flood (like it is now). My first thought was to fill the huge void with a weak mix of concrete - I have a guy who can make it look like natural bark on outside but I'm worried that I may be doing the wrong thing. Anyhow, I'm sure that if nothing is done I will lose the tree. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Kindest regards and thanks, Austin

In most cases it is not advised to fill holes in trees.
This sounds like significant tree damage and it would advisable to seek the advice of a qualified Arborist to see the viability of this tree.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/patching-tree-hole.htm

00
Here are more questions about Open2