Fig Tree

Figs

Lmbrooks added on July 28, 2013 | Answered

My tree is full of figs, until they are soft to pick, then they disappear. This year I have seen about 8 that seem to be eaten from the inside out, then even the skin is gone with nothing left or on the ground. What insect is doing this & how can it be prevented? I've picked only a dozen or more ripened figs. Whatever it is, does not touch the unripened figs.

OK, then could it be a rabbit, chipmunk, or other 4 legged, furry predator? We have a lot of groundhogs, but they've always left our figs alone. (knock wood) Don't really know what else it could be...sorry.

00
Lmbrooks

Birds sound like a good answer, however, I have never seen birds around the tree. The couple of figs I seen damage on have strips down a side that something has been in to. No pecking like a bird would do.

00

You obviously have critters visiting your fig, probably birds. The answer to question #3 in this article should help: https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/fruit/figs.html

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree