Fig Tree

Fig Tree Repair

I have a 25-year-old fig tree in my backyard that produces very well. Instead of having one trunk, I decided years ago to let it grow naturally and that has paid off very well. A large branch that has grown near the base of the tree has produced the best fruit for years. That branch has now split at its base. The bark on each side of the split is healthy. How do I repair the branch? I have thought about tying the two broken halves together somehow. Would that work? If so, what is a best practices method that will achieve a workable result?

You can try tying them together. That can work. Some people also bolt split branches to the main trunk. If you think that the branch is sturdy enough, this is also a possibility.

If you choose to tie it, make sure that you use a buffer anywhere it will be against healthy bark. A section of garden hose, or similar item, is the most common buffer used. Also, do not fill the split, but treat it once a year or so with a fungicide and an insecticide to help keep bugs and rot from setting in at the split.

This article, in the section on split forks, will have steps for using a bolt to repair the split:
http://essmextension.tamu.edu/treecarekit/index.php/after-the-storm/tree-damage-and-hazard-assessment/repairing-storm-damaged-trees/

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree