Fig Tree

Fig Tree Care

hanka added on February 20, 2012 | Answered

How can you tell if the soil in the pot is wet enough for the fig tree? Or if in spring, the soil in the pot is too powdery? How do I make sure that the soil is wet through? I do not have underplate under the pot that the fig tree is in. When I water, the water is running out throughout the holes. But when I dig a little in the soil, there are dry powdery places. What can I do?

Potting soil can start to repel water if allowed to dry out too much. If you suspect that this is the case, if possible you can soak the pot for an hour to rehydrate the soil. If soaking is not possible, pierce the rootball several times with a long stick to create access points that water can run into and rehydrate the soil.

In cases where the soil has dried out too much, it is best to use a touch test as a gauge on how damp the soil.

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree