Fig Tree

Fig Tree Branch Decay

My mature fig tree (10' wide x 8' tall) looks fantastic with plenty of almost ripe fruit and green leaves this season. However, just recently I noticed several branches that have died (from healthy green leaves and growing fruit to brown shriveled, dead leaves and fruit). On the branch itself is a pinkish beige color that looks painted on the bark. It is not a powder substance and does not come off on my hands. At the moment this fungus appears to be killing sections of the branches rather than the entire limb. Please advise as to what disease my fig tree has and how I might stop the fungus from destroying the whole tree.

The closest thing I could speculate as to the cause would be anthracnose, which is a common fungal disease that can attack all plant parts during any growth stage. This fig tree disease can lead to cankers on branches, resulting in severe defoliation and root rot. Infected areas might emit pink-looking spores. Copper based fungicides are used to control anthracnose.

Here are more questions about Fig Tree