Ficus Trees

Ficus Benjamina Potting Up Question

Davejoyal added on February 20, 2015 | Answered

Just put my ficus in a larger sized put. I added gravel to the bottom and am now thinking that was a mistake. Should I take it out of the pot and remove the gravel? The pot does have two holes at the bottom and I water until I see water coming out of them, then don't water again until the top of the soil is dry. The tree has no issues and lots of new growth, but I don't want the gravel to kill it down the road. What should I do? Thanks so much for your time and I've added a pic of the tree.

Davejoyal

Thank you very much for your time!

00

The gravel won't kill your ficus. It's just that the gravel in the bottom of the pot is unnecessary. Gravel or pot shards or whatever improving the drainage is simply a myth that has been disproved. Your tree looks very nice. Next repotting, don't bother with the "drainage layer."

00
Here are more questions about Ficus Trees