Ficus Trees

Ficus Benjamina Outside in Direct Sun During Summer

Davejoyal added on March 10, 2015 | Answered

Currently my ficus is in a southern facing window receiving direct sunlight (obviously filtered through glass), and it's doing well. See pic. When it warms up, probably not till at least late May, I'd like to put the tree outside. Since it receives full light, will its leaves turn white or is it already acclimated enough? My other option would be to put it on the back deck, on the north side of the house. However, there are tall trees about 30 feet away and the house on the other side, so that would definitely be very indirect light. Much less than it gets inside currently. What would be best for my tree? Thank you.

I would say your best scenario would be the one in which the ficus benjamina was placed in as high a light situation as possible without being in too much direct sunlight. If you give it too much direct sunlight the leaves will turn white with sunburn. Ficus leaves are sensitive to being moved and to light changes so you might see some leaves drop once it has been relocated. Just keep a good eye on it.

For more information on the care of ficus benjamina, please visit the link below:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/ficus/ficus-tree-care.htm

00
Here are more questions about Ficus Trees