Ornamental Grasses

Festuca Glauca

Lilibeth added on April 18, 2016 | Answered

Why is the base of my festuca glauca dry? It has been planted three or four years ago and flowers every summer. I live in a zone 4 area, with very cold conditions and lots of snow. I am careful about humidity in winter for this plant. In the summer, however, I do not overwater and when I do water, I always water the base of my plants, the roots. I am careful not to mulch near the base of the plant during winter and I do not mulch the festuca in summer. I would very much appreciate knowing what it is I'm not doing correctly so that my festuca does not have this dry base.

The old grass from the previous growing season dies off and is replaced by new grass in the current growing season.
In the early spring, after the threat of frost, you can trim the entire plant back.
Keep the plant level to about 3 or 4 inches cutting the length uniform to keep the nice domed shape.
Keep the plant combed out of old grass or damaged foliage through out the season by combing out the grass with your hands.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/blue-fescue-grass/blue-fescue-ornamental-grass.htm

00
Here are more questions about Ornamental Grasses