Boston Fern Plants

Fern Roots – What to Do With Them

limchengyeow added on October 21, 2017 | Answered

I have this fern (not sure what species) in my house. Its roots are growing outwards. I am not sure what I should do with them. I tried cutting a length of about 4 inches and planting it but it doesn’t grow. Tried to bury them without cutting and it doesn’t grow too. How can I use them to propagate?

Those are leafless runners. It can be a little difficult to start from these, but is possible. It is best to start ferns from its spores, which grow as a rusty substance on the underside of the leaves.

These runners indicate that the fern could use a little trimming up, and possibly a slightly bigger pot. Here is an article for more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/boston-fern/trimming-boston-ferns.htm

00
Here are more questions about Boston Fern Plants