Gerbera Daisy Plants

Something Eating Gerber Daisy Roots

lovemywestiie060 added on April 6, 2015 | Answered

Every year when I set out Gerber Daisies, something eats the roots on many of them causing them to die. Is there something that I can put in the hole as I plant the daisies that will protect the roots?

Before planting I would lay down heavy wire mesh (fine mesh so that the rodents can't get through it) to keep rodents from the root zone. Same goes for a raised bed garden - line the entire bottom of the bed with wire mesh before planting.

If you're interested, here is additional information on how to protect bulbous plants as well - you may be able to incorporate some of these ideas:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/bgen/protect-flower-bulbs.htm

00
ValleyMermaid

I had this problem years ago. It was cutworm. I literally went around all my plants and dug around them on a regular basis and would find the nasty, thick, black pests and kill them! I also used soapy water but instead of dawn soap.I used dog, flea, and tick, shampoo with pyrethrins in it, to make my soapy water.

00
Here are more questions about Gerbera Daisy Plants