Arborvitae

Evergreen Shrubs, Damaged by Heavy Snow

char paints added on March 31, 2018 | Answered

I have 2 mid size evergreen shrubs, approx. 5 ft round. 10 inches of snow has caused laying down from center of all branches. I am in zone 6B (Louisville,KY)and still getting rain, winds, and threats of snow. I want to save bushes, they have not come back up yet, after 2 wks. Temps in 40-50 nights mid 40. Can I tie them in bundles without causing disease or damage. Lots of limbs on trees broken? Thanks for any help, suggestions to save these big guys. Pics are of 1 bush, indent in center is the middle of shrub, totally laid flat in round shape.

I would not tie them together. This will invite fungal infections, and you could lose the entire bush. The best thing to do now, is to cut off any growth that you know is dead, and trim it up the best that you can to reshape. It will recover from here, but you will just have to have some patience with it. Do you know, exactly, what kind of shrubs that they are?

00
Here are more questions about Arborvitae