Burning Bush Plants

Euonymus (Burning Bush) Dormant (?) This Year

Tom Nielsen added on November 17, 2017 | Answered

I have six 5' tall/wide E. burning bushes which I started from 12" twigs twelve years ago. Until this year, they kept on growing large each year. And they turned gorgeous, flaming red in the fall. This spring they never leaved out; from afar they look dry and completely dead; I thought I was going to have to tear them out. However, upon close inspection the bark is green and there are many, many tiny buds on nearly every branch. BTW, last year we had a severe drought and because our lake from which we pump our irrigation water was low we were unable to water them. But this year we had plenty of rain, especially in the spring and early summer. Is it possible that these Euonymus "took a year off," i.e., went dormant, and will come back next spring? What might I do to help them along, to come back?

If they have new growth buds then you should be ok. These are very hardy, and will come back on their own as long as they don't get another drought. Here is an article for more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/burning-bush/burning-bush-care.htm

00
Here are more questions about Burning Bush Plants