Eucalyptus Tree

Eucalyptus Tree Problem

My young eucalyptus tree, planted at a height of 5 ft' 8 months ago, was staked but the ties became too tight and the tree is now approx. 10 ft, so I thought it could stand up on its own. However, when I removed the ties it doubled over so that the top is now touching the ground [it is completely firm and stable at the base]. My previous eucalyptus grew straight up without any stakes. Why has this happened and what can I do?

A plant that doubles in height that quickly, and is tightly staked "has no reason to put starch in it's backbone". I suggest that you get taller stakes, and replace the staking ties. Leave slack in the ties so there is enough 'wiggle room' for the plant to be forced to harden the stem. If you can slow the growth rate by more sun, less fertilizer or less water, the growth won't be as succulent and tender. While it's wonderful to see a plant growing, sometimes it's best to have slower, 'tougher' stems than it is to have taller, quickly growing stems.

Here are more questions about Eucalyptus Tree