Daffodils

Eradicating Weeds

Anonymous added on December 18, 2014 | Answered

I have a daffodil bed. It has become overgrown with weeds. While it is winter I would like to get rid of them. I am in poor health and can't pick them out anymore. Can I put Weed-B-Gon on them without hurting the daffodils? Around here I start seeing them around late January to early February.

If your plants have foliage, they can be killed by herbicides. If your bulbs have not yet grown foliage, then herbicides formulated for post emergence use will not usually harm them - though ANY chemical in the garden can leach into the soil.

The herbicide you have is meant to kill "broad leaved weeds" in your lawn. The active ingredient enters the plant though the leaves. That said, depending on whether the bulbs are actively growing or dormant, you can cover their foliage with something (cardboard, plastic bags, etc.) before you spray to shield them from any contact. Wait until all spray drift is gone before you remove the covers.

00
Here are more questions about Daffodils