Elephant Ear Plants

Elephant Ear Plants and Rabbits

Peggysue1971 added on April 20, 2016 | Answered

We have four pet rabbits in our yard that run loose and eat whatever they find growing. I am about to plant three large bulbs of elephant ears in the shady part of our yard. Will the plants survive the rabbits with protective fencing until they are large? Will the rabbits survive if they get to them and consume the bulbs or leaves? I don't want to kill the rabbits and I can plant them in pots if need be.

JeffreyGardener

Yes, the protective fencing should help. Toxicity will depend on the species of Colocasia or Alocasia you have. The name 'elephant ears' can refer to several similar-looking species. I'll assume that you have Colocasia esculenta. This plant is not poisonous when it has been properly cooked. I doubt that the plant would kill your rabbits if they ate it raw, but they may suffer irritation in the mouth, throat, and stomach from it. I'd keep the rabbits away from it.

00
Here are more questions about Elephant Ear Plants