Elephant Ear Plants

Elephant Ear Bulbs

cjkilgore added on October 27, 2017 | Answered

When I cut my elephant ear back to overwinter it the bulb was mushy, so I discarded it. however, I have a bucket full of roots. Will these grow if overwintered and planted in spring? Thanks for any info you can give me.

No, I'm sorry but the bulb being mushy signified that it was being attacked by a fungal issue. This can happen if the plant receives too much water for too long of a period. You can, however, propagate these through leaf cutting. When I worked for a nursery years ago, we had a problem with elephant ears rooting overnight after we pruned the leaves off. We had to start throwing them away immediately as to not have rooted plants in the gravel.

If you can still find leaf from the plant, this will be your best method for it re-growing. Otherwise, this plant may be lost.

00
Here are more questions about Elephant Ear Plants