Chrysanthemum Plants

Elena Gold (Garden Mum) Perenial

sheenahbaker added on September 14, 2017 | Answered

I've always lost my mums over years because I didn't study about them I bought two of theses mums recently and was wondering how do I keep them dormant over winter in the north? They are in containers and I have a small greenhouse should I keep them in the dark in my basement and just slightly water them now and then or what? that's what I do when wintering my bulbs that I have to bring in but don't water the bulbs thank u sheena

They would prefer being a perennial, and not having a dormancy, although, if you would like to slow them down, it wouldn't hurt. Just make sure it doesn't get below -15 degrees,and they will survive. They are hardy down to that temperature. If it falls below this, then bring them in. they will do best either in a brightly lit window, or like you mentioned, in a greenhouse. Here is an article that will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/chrysanthemum/growing-chrysanthemum-flowers.htm

00
Here are more questions about Chrysanthemum Plants