Easter Cactus Growth

lmgrantham added on April 14, 2018 | Answered

In December I received an Easter cactus cutting from North Carolina, I live in Oregon. It has not shown any signs of growth. It's in a plastic pot, perlite mix, morning sun, not too moist. The pads are firm not wrinkled and when I tug on the pads, to see if they have rooted, they are nice and stable. Am I just impatient ? Thank you.

These can take several weeks to root. Make sure not to keep the mix very moist at all. They are epiphytic and grow on other host trees, so they do not need to be very moist to root. After they are established, you will want to keep them very slightly moist. When they start to flower they will want to be pretty dry between waterings.

The wrinkling is due to the moisture. They will wrinkle and then shoot roots at this time. But if they start to flop over, you will want to let them dry out a little.

Patience will be key here. They will root in time.

10