Open

Dying Plants

Several of my plants (a vine, several shrubs, and a trellised plant) seem to be suddenly dying. They have been healthy and happy for many years in their current locations but are now looking very sick. I'm afraid that the cause is some sort of stump killer that our neighbor's gardener put on the stump of a tree he recently cut down in the yard. That stump is on the other side of the wall from my dying plants. I'm worried that recent very heavy rains have leached the stump killer into the ground beneath the fence and into my side yard, killing my plants. The neighbors don't know what their gardener used on the stump, but he covered it with dirt after he treated it, leading me to believe that he used something toxic. What, if anything, can I do to counteract the effects of the stump killer to try to save my plants? If I can't save my plants, will I have to completely replace the soil or can I wait for the toxic chemical to dissipate and if so, how long will that take?

I'm sorry that you are having issues with plants dying, this can be very frustrating for gardeners. We work so hard to nurture the plants and losing them can be very stressful.

Other then having the soil tested in a lab for herbicides or chemicals such as these would be the only way to know if such an event has taken place.

You could contact your County Extension Office to see if they use a lab in your area.
Here is a link to help you locate your nearest office.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/extension-search/

00
Here are more questions about Open