Watering Plants

Drip Line Watering, How Often for How Long

scootergirl added on April 11, 2012 | Answered

We have a veggie garden in a long raised garden with a drip line. We are very unsure when to have the hose turn on and for how long. We live in Florida, and I thought we would water everyday. It's hard to measure how much is being dripped out of the hose. The plants just seem to be staying small, or maybe it's just early in the season. Any help would be great, as I don't want to kill all this hard work from over or under watering.

Rather than watering everyday, try watering 1-2 times a week for long periods of time. The rule of thumb is 2" of water per week. Since you are on a drip system, I would recommend taking one of the lines out of the ground and measuring how long it takes to fill a small cup or jar to 2". That will determine how long to run the drip system for proper watering.

00
Here are more questions about Watering Plants