Elm Trees

Drake Elm Transplanting Problems

I recently planted a Drake elm in my backyard. I followed the instructions on how to plant (Dug a hole twice the size as the root ball, watered well, eliminated air pockets, mixed with new tree/shrub dirt and the native soil, tried to spread the roots out some, and put mulch on top, and even anchored the little tree for sturdiness.).

All of my efforts were apparently in vain, because despite my hard work, the tree is progressively getting worse. It continues to wilt, regardless of water. What did I do wrong? And how long is the tree considered in "transplant shock"? It has been 9 days since I transplanted the tree. Is my hole too shallow or too deep? Could it just be a bad tree? I'm very confused because I planted two Shumard oaks at the same time I planted the elm tree and the oaks look great! They are at the lower part of the backyard though. Could that have something to do with it? Please help! I don't want my new tree to die!

Transplant shock varies from plant to plant, just as jet lag affects different people in different ways. Sometimes, transplant shock can take weeks or even months to subside. Keep watering, deeply, weekly. If you are concerned in a couple weeks, contact the nursery where you purchased the tree, and ask for their opinion and recommendations. Remember that trees and shrubs can take up to 3 years to become established enough to reach their maximum yearly growth rate.

00
Here are more questions about Elm Trees