Raised Garden Beds

Eggshells in the Garden

blackplatypus added on May 26, 2015 | Answered

Do eggshells have to be washed before using in the garden or potted plants? I have been saving my eggshells over the winter but never washed them. They are dried and partially crushed. Can I just sprinkle them over my raised beds and potted outdoor garden?

Yes, eggshells can be added directly to the soil or sprinkled on top of the soil. It is recommended to wash them before using them, some even feel it's necessary to sterilize them (for fear of salmonella) by boiling them. However many a gardener has tossed them onto the ground without sterilizing and is still alive to tell about it! :)

For more information how to use eggshells in the garden, please visit the following link:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/ingredients/eggshells-in-the-garden.htm

00
Here are more questions about Raised Garden Beds