Blueberry Bushes

Does Dormant Blueberry Bush Need Sunlight? (Will They Survive 3 Months in Dark Unheated Basement/Garage)

splui added on September 9, 2017 | Answered

Hi, I have a question about dormancy. I have 2 blueberries bush plants in a 16" pot on my balcony and I live in Toronto (winters go below freezing for 3-4 months). I was instructed to relocate the pot in my unheated basement garage during the months with freezing temperature, and water it once a month. My question is that do dormant plants require sunlight? My basement has no light. Please let me know thank you! Shu

Even in dormancy, blueberries need some light. In fact most blueberries require a period of roughly 200 hours of temperatures between 37 and 42 degrees to fruit properly the next year. Here is an article that will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/blueberries/growing-blueberry.htm

00
Here are more questions about Blueberry Bushes