Yellow Delicious Apple Trees

Do You Have to Have a Pair of Apple Trees in Order to Get Apples???

KNCRUMP added on September 23, 2012 | Answered

I was told that you have to have a mate or nearby apple tree in order for them to make. Please let me know. I love a Golden Delicious and need to know if this means I have to buy two.

With apples, it is not so much male and female (their flowers contain both) but rather some varieties need cross pollination (a second tree to provide different pollen), some varieties do better with cross pollination and some don't need cross pollination.

Golden delicious don't need a cross pollination tree, but they perform much better if a tree for cross pollination is present. They do not need to be both Golden delicious. In fact, some research shows that trees perform even better when the cross is a different variety.

00
Here are more questions about Yellow Delicious Apple Trees