Composting

Do You Have Any Tips on Kelp & Seaweed for Feed….

teamt5 added on September 4, 2012 | Answered

I have access to many types available in Buzios and Rio, which I would like to collect up, dry and apply to the garden. Can I use all types and which ratio should I mix it into the compost? Many thanks in advance.

Add about 2 lbs seaweed (kelp) to a 5-gallon bucket of warm water (approx. 2 gallons) and stir it well. Some people also add fish emulsion too. Allow this to 'rot' by putting a lid on the bucket and letting the mixture sit for about a month or so, stirring it every few days. When it's ready, the mix will become murky and brown. Prior to use it must be diluted, so you will need to add more water at a ratio of 1:16 (8 oz per gallon). Once diluted, you can pour the mix into a spray bottle and apply to your plants.

If you want to add the kelp seaweed to your compost, simply rinse it off (to remove any salt build up) and mix it into the compost heap, especially with your browns like leaves or straw. There is really no set amount to put in the compost but make sure that you are using an equal mix of greens (which would be seaweed, grass clippings, food scraps, manure, etc.) and browns (leaves, straw, newspaper, sawdust, etc.).

00
Here are more questions about Composting