Urban Gardening

Do Vegetables Taste Better Grown Outside or Inside in a Grow Tent?

ebrittia added on January 21, 2015 | Answered

I live in an apartment and I am trying to figure out whether it is better to grow my plants in a grow tent with an HID light or outside on my balcony. I want to make sure that growing inside of a grow tent with a sun lamp and potting soil mixture does not change the flavor of my vegetables. My balconies are very shady and I'm trying to get the best quality and taste from my crops.

There are a lot of factors that can affect flavor, and to be honest, it would be hard to say in your specific setting if growing indoors would negatively affect the flavors.

That being said, from a pure ease of care standpoint, I would recommend that you try growing on your balcony. Growing indoors, even with supplemental light, is difficult with vegetables. The need enormous amounts of light and even shady areas outside often provide more light. Plus, space is a factor. Unless you are sticking to plants like leaf lettuce or herbs, your balcony likely provides more space either vertically or horizontally than a grow tent will.

You can also try to see if there are any allotment gardens in your area. These are often rented out for free or at low cost and give people a place to grow food close to home. Here is more information on them, if you are interested:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/urban/allotment-gardens.htm

00
Here are more questions about Urban Gardening