Chrysanthemum Plants

Dividing Hardy Mumsand Color Change

Pecans4913 added on October 19, 2017 | Answered

This is the 3rd year that my hardy mums have come back. My question is 2 fold. I need to move them to a sunnier place and divide them. Also, my mums have literally changed color. They were a dark pink to red with a white center. They are now pink with a yellowish center. I swear someone must have switched them! Any thoughts? Thank you! Patti Anderson

You can, most certainly, move and divide them. The best time to do this is in fall when there is little chance of a heat wave. As far as the color change: I believe it is most likely that a cross pollination with another variety or color has occurred. This means that the next generation of seeds are different than what you have started originally.

Here is an article for more information on the care of the plants: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/chrysanthemum/growing-chrysanthemum-flowers.htm

00
Here are more questions about Chrysanthemum Plants