Fig Tree

Did I Mess Up

janhalle added on October 10, 2014 | Answered

I cut fig way back in the winter. But now, plant is fruiting and growing, with figs way too high. I pruned branches growing that did not have little figs. Some are growing straight up that have a few figs, but these need to be pruned to get a shapely bush, but I couldn't figure out how to do this. I think further pruning should wait til winter really sets in. did I do any permanent harm to my fig bush?

No, I'm sure you didn't permanently harm your fig. The worst you could do is to inhibit next season's fruit. You can cut back those branches that are growing too high back to where you want them to be. Look carefully at them for branches or buds growing off at the height/direction you want, and make your cut just past those. This article has more information on pruning fig:

Here are more questions about Fig Tree