Petunia Plants

Diatomaceous Earth Question

jcn added on May 5, 2013 | Answered

I recently planted some assorted flowers outside - petunias, verbena etc. and I have noticed that something is eating them and leaving little holes in all the leaves. I read about Diatomaceous Earth and thought it would be a good idea to dust the plants with this before whatever bug this is takes over and kills them entirely. I was wondering though, after the initial application what happens when it gets wet? Do I have to re-apply this stuff every time I water the plants?

jcn

Thanks! I'm gonna order some right now. I put a lot of work into creating this little garden and I cringe every time I see these little holes. I'd hate to see everything die. I want these little pests gone!

00
kreg

D.E. does reconstitute after it gets wet. Therefore, it will dry up and be good again. But if you're putting on plants try diluting a bit in some water and see if your sprayer can push it. Then when you spray your plants it will leave behind a coating of D.E. Apply liberally. My garden has 1/2 inch of the stuff and it works great!

00
Here are more questions about Petunia Plants