Devil's Backbone Plants

Devil’s Backbone

I have what I believe is called Devil's Backbone. I wanted it to be used a hedge, but after it bloomed. its tall red bell-shaped flowers died to nothing. It's growing all over again. Does this happen every year? I want it to stay with its green leaves all year long. Thanks for your help.

Depending on the particular species, these plants can be either evergreen or deciduous. Additionally, they are normally grown as houseplants unless you live in a tropical or semi-tropical location - or within USDA zones 9-11. The region in which it's grown outdoors could have an effect on its overall growing behavior too, so as far as it growing as an evergreen hedge year round, they type you have may not be suitable. The variegated type, Pedilanthus tithymaloides'Variegatus', might be a better choice for this.

00
Here are more questions about Devil's Backbone Plants