Maple Trees

Damaged Maple Bark

I have two very large maple trees that are showing bark damage both at the soil level and up the trunk. It is as though the bark is pulling itself off the tree in hunks. Maybe 20% of the tree trunk is having this problem. The layer that is now exposed is smooth, dry and gray looking. There is no insect damage that I can see. Both trees have three to four inches of mulch at the base and are in planted beds. The canopies look to be in good shape even though we have had a miserably hot, dry summer in Tennessee. A sprinkler system has kept them adequately watered. Do I wait and see what happens next or should I call in and specialist? What do you think the problem might be? Thank you for your help.

It sounds like crown rot and I would recommend bringing in a specialist for this. This can be a lethal infection for a tree if not treated properly.

00
Here are more questions about Maple Trees