Dahlia Death

For several years, I have had some lilac dahlias which have just gone from strength to strength. Not sure of their name. A couple of years ago I bought a Bishop of Llandaff, as I so liked the deep red flower. Once planted, not far from the others, it deteriorated and died. Perhaps it was a sickly plant anyway, I thought. A few weeks ago, I purchased another 'Bishop' - it was healthy and remained so whilst in the pot. Having planted it out, it now appears to be deteriorating too. Is there any special care I should have given them first?

I really cannot say for certain what may be affecting this plant, other than the soil/microclimate in that particular area. You may want to have the soil tested, or plant it in another location. Likewise, if it does fine in its pot, you could consider growing one in a container. For more info on caring for dahlias, this article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/dahlia/tips-dahlia-planting.htm

Here are more questions about Dahlias