Insect Pest Control

Cutworms in My Garden

I have cutworms in my garden soil. There are no plants. Have been putting compost material and tilling that in and saw the worms even then. I have dogs so do not want to put anything in or on top that will hurt them. The articles I have read just speak about putting things around your plants but nothing for what to do when it is everywhere even where there are not plants. Thank you for any info that you can share with me.

You can try treating the soil with Bt, neem oil or Steinernema carpocapsae nematodes. Though to be honest, if you clear away any dead vegetation and keep the area relatively dry, they will die off naturally. They need somewhere to lay eggs and if you keep it dry and eliminate the vegetation they need to lay eggs, they cannot reproduce.

These articles may be helpful:

Here are more questions about Insect Pest Control