Cucumber Plants

Cucumber Hand-Pollination Problems

ncsuzyq626 added on June 3, 2014 | Answered

I have a cucumber plant growing in a screened in patio. I have been trying to hand-pollinate the female flowers using both the paintbrush method and by stripping the male flower and rubbing the center on the center of the female flower method. After that, the female flower withers...but then my cucumbers don't get any bigger! My biggest one is 7cm and has been staying at that measurement for at least a week. The first few cucumbers were very small (like 2-3cm) and stayed like that for weeks. Eventually some turned yellow and I snipped them off. What am I doing wrong??

Assuming you followed the instructions for hand pollination, double check the rest of your culture, especially light. Try putting your plant in a spot that gets more light, and see what happens. Here's an article on growing cucumbers in pots: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/cucumber/cucumbers-in-containers.htm

00
Here are more questions about Cucumber Plants