Crape Myrtle Trees

Crepe Myrtle Leaves Are Drooping

Calirose added on July 26, 2011 | Answered

This is the first year my crepe myrtle has bloomed with any vigor. I purchased a mature plant from a nursery three years ago so I would start getting blooms quickly, but didn't. I do not know the name. It was about 5' tall. It has medium green leaves and lavender blosoms. It has looked extremely healthy all this time until today. Now the leaves look as though they are wilting in need of water. It is getting plenty of water. Maybe too much, but I do not know. Watering is with three emitters three to four times a week for 25 minutes, depending on the temperature. Our soil is clay. It has been in the mid to upper 90's for most of July. Light colored bark has started to peel.

Cathy

It sounds like you are over watering the tree. These trees don't like wet "feet". Back off to one deep watering once a week. And since you have clay soil, consider amending the soil with additional organic material and or compost to help break down the clay particles. Peeling bark on these trees is normal and make them an interesting addition to your landscape especially in the winter. You may find this article helpful:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/crepe-myrtle/bark-shedding-crepe-myrtle.htm

00
Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees