Crape Myrtle Trees

Crepe Myrtle

Saito56 added on May 26, 2011 | Answered

My Crepe Myrtle is a little over a year old, and about four and a half feet tall. It has plenty of green leaves, but they are beginning to turn brown around the edges like they are dying. I have been watering it about two to three times a week. Is there something else I should do? I fertilized it in early spring with a common house tree and shrub fertilizer.

How long are you watering it for? It does sound like it is not getting enough water. Tree roots go deep and in order to get to them, you need to water deeply. It would be better to water once a week for 3X as long than 3 times a week for short bursts. Also remember that the roots of the tree go out as far at the canopy of the tree and this whole area needs to be watered.

There is also a chance something is attacking the roots. If changing your watering habits does not help the tree improve, I would check around the roots to see if you see pest or disease damage.

00
Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees