Raspberry Plants

Crabgrass in Raspberry Patch

I have a nice patch of red raspberries, 2 years old, but I'm having trouble with crabgrass. I've tried digging it up with little success. Is there a product available that will kill crabgrass without harming the rassberry plants?

This is a tricky one, but you could try covering your raspberries with cardboard boxes or a gallon milk jug with the bottom cut off as a shield. Spray the crabgrass with an herbicide (like Roundup) during hot weather when the grass is actively growing. One application won't work, as it's going to take several. Roundup dissipates from the soil rather quickly. You might also want to try laying wet newspaper in the area and covering it with a layer of mulch, such as straw, once you've removed the crabgrass. The following article provides some organic alternatives: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/organic/homemade-pet-friendly-weed-killer.htm

00
Here are more questions about Raspberry Plants