Crab Apple Trees

Crab Apple Trees

NatalieO24 added on June 13, 2017 | Answered

Hello, I\\\'d like to plant a crab apple tree. However, I\\\'ve heard that in order to yield fruit, you need to plant two for cross-pollination. Is this true? Also, the area where I\\\'d like to plant it used to have a tree. We cut it down because it got infected with the emerald ash borer. Is it possible to plant a new tree in that area, or should we avoid it? Thanks! Natalie

Many apple varieties need to be pollinated by another variety of apple in order to set fruit. Crabapples, however, are bred for their flowers. Some varieties are sterile and do not set fruit no matter what pollen is available, but the Adams crabapple is self-fertile. Adams crabapple flowers set fruit when they are pollinated by other flowers of the same tree.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/crabapple/flowering-crabapple-trees.htm

00
Here are more questions about Crab Apple Trees