Crab Apple Trees

Crabapple Tree Suckers

My 10+ yr. old crabapple has been rampantly making suckers. I cut them frequently, but they grow back within a week (although shorter). I am partially disabled, so getting under it is very difficult for me. I have heavy rocks at the base, but they grow back through the space between rocks. I've tried sucker spray, but that is expensive and only slows the growth by a couple more weeks. Any ideas?

Trees tend to sucker when they are under stress. Lack of water is the most common reason for this, but there can be others. Without knowing more about your tree, I cannot specifically suggest what might be causing this, but if you can find the source of their stress, it should reduce the suckers. This article may also help:

Here are more questions about Crab Apple Trees