Vegetable Gardening

Cover Crops

I just moved to Virginia about 2 years ago. The soil on my property is horrible. When I started to break ground to plant, I discovered the the whole property has paving stones buried just below the surface, some places 6 inches deep. After I removed the rocks, I amended the soil as best I could and used a rototiller. Some veggies grew, others died on the vines. I'm pretty sure the soil needs calcium. What would be a good cover crop to add calcium. I have never planted a cover crop. When tilling, do you just rototill everything? Won't it get caught in the tiller blades? Thanks for your time.

There are no cover crops that I can think of for adding calcium to the soil. However, adding lime to the soil in the fall is the easiest answer in how to raise calcium levels.

Here are more questions about Vegetable Gardening