Coreopsis Plants

Coreopsis

Susie added on July 25, 2017 | Answered

Hello I bought two perennial Coreopsis from a home hardware chain three weeks ago for my deck. They were dry & flagging so I soaked them overnight & have been watering daily. They now have lots of buds but they do not open fully & shrivel up before opening. Can you advise please? Thanks Susan

Expect transplant shock, especially in mid-summer. The plants were probably left over from spring so were rootbound and not in good shape, as you said. Roots are now struggling to get established. Blooms take a lot out of a plant energy wise and are the first thing to suffer in transplants. I would actually trim back the entire plant to get rid of buds. Let it focus on roots, then green growth, then flowers. Coreopsis doesn't like a lot of water or fertilizer. Is this in a pot? Only water when the top 1" of soil is dry. Your goal is damp, not wet, soil. Provide shade for the rest of this week; hot sun will dry the leaves and blooms faster than the roots can replace water. Unlike annuals, perennials often don't show much top growth their first year.

00
Here are more questions about Coreopsis Plants