Conifers

Conifer Tree Problems

Carla73 added on June 5, 2015 | Answered

I've recently moved into a new house with a very neglected garden. I believe the garden was well loved about 3 or 4 years ago and I'm trying to get it back to being nice. I have two large conifers at the back of the garden which I would like to keep because of the additional privacy they provide (plus, I can't actually remove them because it's a rental property). However, they are in a really bad way. Is there anything I can do to revive these? I believe conifers don't take too well to pruning; is this correct? Many thanks in advance.

I would certainly trim away the dead plant material on this Arborvitae.
You could blend in the narrower bottom portion of the plant with the fuller top part to give a better appearance.
Mulching the base and fertilizing with an all purpose fertilizer would be beneficial.

Here is a link that has more information.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/arborvitae/growing-arborvitae-trees.htm

00
Here are more questions about Conifers