Clematis Plants

Clematis Vine Not Growing

machomaz21 added on July 5, 2017 | Answered

I've planted 4 different kinds of clematis vines in 3 different planters and NONE have performed well. On all of them the leaves end up going brown and falling off. Usually it happens one strand of vine at a time. In the past 5 weeks there has been no new growth on any of them. The roots are shaded, the leaves get 6+ hours of light and I've been carefully monitoring the soil moisture. I also fed them after planting. Other types of plants in the same containers are thriving and doing well. Please help!

heather

It does look like you may have a fungus, so I would recommend that you treat it with a fungicide.

That being said, they also look like they are not getting enough sunlight. Not all sunlight is created equal. These plants need at least 5 hours of really bright sunlight to do well. If they are getting filtered or indirect sunlight, it will not be enough for the plants to grow and thrive.

00
Here are more questions about Clematis Plants