Container Gardening

Clearing Roots From Terra Cotta Pots

grenier.john@gmail.com added on March 7, 2017 | Answered

I have cut down my bamboos and now want to clear the pots for reuse. The bamboo roots are extremely strongly intertwined and I am unable to clear the pots using hand tools. My thoughts to seal off the top of the container and allow the roots to die over the coming year. The local garden supplier has suggested dousing them with a strong solution of bleach first? Do you have any thoughts? Regards John

I would not suggest using any bleach or other chemical in the pot. They can eat through the clay of the pot and destroy it, and chemicals could spill out of the container.

I would suggest using a small hand saw to cut through the tangle of roots. You should then be able to lift out the soil and roots in smaller sections.

00
Here are more questions about Container Gardening